Monday, November 19, 2012

The Rhode to The Rest of Our Lives: Start of the Best Day

FI and I woke up together on our wedding day.  It was something that I knew I wanted to do, even though it's not traditional for the bride and groom to see each other until the start of the ceremony.  I couldn't imagine not sleeping next to him the night before our wedding, and not being able to give him one last kiss and hug before we parted ways for a few hours to get ready.  

The morning was chaotic though. It was spent getting last minute things together, packing up vehicles, crossing things off of to-do lists and creating new ones, and a lot of emotion as I left our house with my mom and my sister, knowing that the next time I saw FI, it would be walking down the aisle to marry him.  

A while back, I reserved a room at the Renaissance Hotel in Providence for the wedding night.  It would act as our getting ready space and as the room that FI and I sleep in that night.  I called early in the week of our wedding to confirm the reservation I had made online, and verify that my early-checkin time of 11:30am was approved.  Well, the hotel had my reservation, but could not approve my early check-in time until the morning of the wedding.  I was freaking out inside, and tried to coerce them into making an exception since this was my wedding day, but they just couldn't guarantee it.  So, I talked with FI, and we decided that just to be safe, we would also book the night prior, that way we knew we could arrive at whatever time we wanted on Saturday morning.  

As soon as we got in the room, I quickly unpacked some things, and we got to work, as we were already running slightly behind.  The first thing to do, was get my hair set in the curlers.  So, off to the bathroom sink (there was only a beautiful stand up shower, and no bathtub) to get my hair wet.  

I didn't use conditioner so that my hair would have it's natural texture and hold the style easier, so after combing through my hair to get all the tangles out, my sister starting putting in the curlers.  The curlers are spiral curled tubes and you use a hook to put sections of hair through the tubes and then your hair dries in that shape.  These worked so much better for me than a normal curling iron, as you may remember from my hair trial.

We took a few shots of me and my "Muppet" hair before putting on the drying cap.


I bought the drying cap from Sally Beauty. It has a hose that attaches to any standard blow dryer, and it acts the same as the dryers that professional salons have.  We ended up calling this the "Elephant" because I looked like an elephant when I had it on my head.  Hey, I didn't say I was going for glamorous, right?

Stay tuned for another post on how my hair actually came out using these curlers.

All photos by Matt Ferrara Photography unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover